DIR Return Create A Forum - Home
---------------------------------------------------------
Poolforecast.createaforum.com
HTML https://poolforecast.createaforum.com
---------------------------------------------------------
*****************************************************
DIR Return to: Politics
*****************************************************
#Post#: 47--------------------------------------------------
Lobbying Begins As Adelabu Set To Resign, Eyes Oyo Governor's
Seat
DIR By: wedco893
Date: March 5, 2026, 9:58 am
---------------------------------------------------------
Minister of Power, Adebayo AdelabuMinister of Power, Adebayo
Adelabu
Political lobbying has reportedly intensified for the position
of Nigeria’s Minister of Power as the current minister, Adebayo
Adelabu, prepares to contest the Oyo State governorship election
in 2027.
Reports indicate that several interested individuals have begun
positioning themselves for the role amid expectations that
Adelabu may resign from the cabinet in the coming weeks.
Adelabu is expected to seek the governorship ticket of the All
Progressives Congress (APC) in Oyo State.
Under the provisions of the Electoral Act 2026 and the timetable
released by the Independent National Electoral Commission, party
primaries and the resolution of disputes arising from them will
take place between April 23 and May 30, 2026.
The timeline is believed to have prompted Adelabu’s preparations
to step down from his ministerial position.
During an engagement with stakeholders in the Nigerian
Electricity Supply Industry in Lagos late last year, Adelabu
hinted that his time in office might be limited. He said he
would love to achieve some feats “before I leave office.”
According to some aides, the remark reflected his intention to
pursue the Oyo governorship race.
In a video that circulated in October 2025, Adelabu formally
declared his intention to run for governor of Oyo State.
The minister recalled how he lost the governorship election
twice to the incumbent governor, Seyi Makinde, in 2019 and 2023.
“I have now paid my dues. I contested against Seyi (Makinde) in
2019. In 2023, I also contested against Seyi, then as the
sitting governor. But in 2027, God has shown that it’s our turn.
It’s Adelabu’s turn. Anything that belongs to Adelabu belongs to
us all,” he said.
However, Adelabu’s media aide, Bolaji Tunji, said there had been
no official directive from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu requiring
cabinet members with political ambitions to resign.
“We need to await development, as I am not sure the President
has said those with political ambition should resign,” Tunji
told The PUNCH.
It was gathered that individuals interested in Adelabu’s job are
already lobbying the presidency, knowing full well that he would
resign to pursue his gubernatorial ambitions
Meanwhile, stakeholders in the power sector have urged President
Tinubu to appoint a technocrat if Adelabu eventually resigns.
A power sector expert, Bode Fadipe, said the replacement must
possess deep knowledge of the electricity industry.
“My choice will be a technocrat who has knowledge of the power
sector and whose agenda is national rather than personal
interest,” Fadipe said.
The Convener of PowerUp Nigeria, Adetayo Adegbemle, also
stressed that the next minister must clearly understand the
challenges confronting the sector.
“Anyone being appointed should have a clear understanding of the
assignment on hand, understand the challenges of the power
sector, and have displayed this understanding before being
appointed,” he said.
Adegbemle also warned against excessive political interference
in the sector, noting that the electricity industry is critical
to Nigeria’s industrial growth and job creation.
Similarly, energy professor Dayo Ayoade said the power sector is
currently in a fragile state and requires competent leadership.
“The sector is collapsing; we need a technocrat. We need someone
who can manage the crisis that we are in,” he said.
However, the coordinator of the Electricity Consumers Forum,
Adeola Samuel-Ilori, suggested that the ministry could be
managed temporarily by the permanent secretary rather than
appointing a new minister immediately.
“He should let the ministry be run by the permanent secretary
till next year when the election will be done and a new cabinet
formed if he wins,” Samuel-Ilori said.
Credit:
HTML https://www.naijanews.com/2026/03/05/lobbying-begins-for-power-minister-as-adelabu-set-to-resign-eyes-oyo-guber/?utm_source=operamini&utm_medium=feednews&utm_campaign=operamini_feednews
*****************************************************
Page 1 of 1