Subject: Kermit unprefixing improvements
To: "William H. Glass" <[email-masked]>, Lawrence Kirby <[email-masked]>

> I certainly would like to remove the restriction for having
> to prefix the start-of-packet+128 and end-of-packet+128.  I'm even
> in favor of doing it for the 7 bit versions of those two characters.
> 
You don't have to prefix these when sending to C-Kermit, but you do have
to prefix the when sending to MS-DOS Kermit.

Also, you now no longer have to prefix 13 or 141 (end of packet character)
when sending to either C-Kermit or MS-DOS Kermit.  So goodbye to all those
#M's in text-file packets.  However, 13 still has to be prefixed when the
sender is a TELNET client to prevent LF/CRLF/CR screwups that happen betwen
the TELNET client and server.

Now, under ideal conditions (non-TELNET connection with no Xon/Xoff, and an
otherwise perfectly transparent connection), the minimum set of prefixed
controls for sending from MS-DOS Kermit to C-Kermit is 0.  For sending from
C-Kermit to MS-DOS Kermit it's 0, 1, 129.

> Would it be difficult to allow more than one value to be set on
> a single command line? E.g.
>
>   set cont pref 17 19 145 147
>
The SET CONTROL { PREFIX, UNPREFIX } command has just been improved to accept
a list of numbers, separated by spaces, e.g.:

  SET CONTROL U ALL
  SET CONTROL P 1 3 13 129 131 141

This is in both C-Kermit and MS-DOS Kermit.

.